Saturday, February 17, 2007

Why I Think Britney Shaved Her Head

Looking at the photographs of her shaving her head, and then receiving further body art, I think that Britney is doing a "self Dalila" to her Samson. Samson, as you may recall from the bible, confided in Dalila that "No razor has touched my head, for I have been consecrated to God from my mother's womb. If I am shaved, my strength will leave me, and I shall be as weak as any other man" Judges 16:17. For Samson had been the superhuman-ly strong leader of Israel, who delivered Israel from the power of the Philistines. He ruled "judged" Israel for twenty years, until Dalila worked out of him the secret of his strength and betrayed him. Samson was captured and blinded by the Philistines. He died by calling upon the Lord and pulling down the false temple of the Philistines upon himself and them, winning a last victory in his own demise.

I think that there is an inherent spirit in all men and women that recognizes when one is in an untenable situation, and often turns to traditional, even biblical, ways of expressing it. The ancients "rend-ed their clothes" when they witnessed great sorrow or blasphemy. Women kept their hair covered because it was viewed as their treasure of beauty (and so the cutting of it was a great punishment or sacrifice.) And there are many biblical laws and guidelines about men's shaving. I think that Britney recognizes that her influence and power at such a young age is a great burden, and has become very complicated through her and her companion's lifestyle choices. Rending one's clothes means very little in our society today, lol, some of our jeans and tops are pre-rended lol. So I believe that Britney feels lost and betrayed by the burden of fame, especially of being a sex symbol, and decided to Dalila her own Samson power.

I understand her strong feelings and hope that this helps to give her a clean slate, both in her own mind and spiritually.

No comments: