Wednesday, May 16, 2007

I Have a Request for Christopher Hitchens

I Have a Job for Christopher Hitchens

While he is wielding his intelligence, verbal skills, and dark disdain like a scalpel regarding his disbelief in God and all religion, I can't help but think of one area that I do wish he would focus on. If I had any money perhaps I'd sponsor a special lecture series (or hissing series LOL) on this subject. That subject is the belief in reincarnation. When Mr. Hitchens speaks with contempt of how religion has "ruined" the world and many people's lives we do not agree. But given his and my totally sets of "beliefs", rather like those circles we learned about in math class, our circles would intersect in one vital place, and that is our feelings about the bogus and destructive belief in reincarnation. I think that surely Mr. Hitchens would agree with me that if he believes there is no God and that all religion is damaging, he would agree In Spades with me that even "worse" is a belief that God and humans are in a sausage machine of punishing and rewarding people for so called lives they lived before, but do not remember (unless of course the right person's palm is crossed with lucre, of either the monetary or ego stroking variety, who can "unlock" the mystery of "past lives" and tell people how to "remedy" the "lessons unlearned.") Dare I speculate that Mr. Hitchens and I could agree that there is an exponential evil in this particular cruelty? It's a free society and people are free to believe whatever lunacy about themselves that they wish. If they want to believe they are a poor woman accused of being a witch and killed in Ye Olde Medieval times, while all they wanted to do was "nurture" and be "green", and now they are reincarnated, well, if that's your brand of lunacy, it's a free country. But it never stays an individual fantasy. I have yet to meet a reincarnation believer who does not think that they know who "you" or "I' "really are" and then proceeds to manipulate that person in accordance to their insane belief. If you know what I'm talking about, you know what I mean. If you don't be glad that you have not become entangled in someone's cruel delusion. Belief in reincarnation regarding another person breaks the 8th Commandment "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor" because by believing your neighbor is someone that she or he is not, and by gossiping about them accordingly, and also interacting with them and interfering with their life in accordance to that belief, that is bearing false witness and it is a mortal sin. I digress from the part of the job that I have for Mr Hitchens, because of course, he does not believe in God, so it's OK for him to ignore my religious admonitions. But I do wish he would "rip another hole" especially for those who shamelessly sin by performing actions based on some sick belief. For those of you who think I'm talking about someone cuddly like the Dali Lama, I'm not really. I'm talking about the thousands of people running around looking normal on the outside but shooting their neighbors furtive looks, and believing that they have built in "beefs" from previous lives, and then, incredible as this sounds, ruin people's loves, lives, children, careers, and peace of mind in an attempt to manipulate the machine they believe in. Trust me, trampling on the 8th Commandment will result in a justice that will be "just desserts" rather than being saved upon death. So Mr Hitchens, if you are listening, feel free to go after a particularly appalling abuse of "religion."

(By the way, for those of you who relate to the cartoon strip "Dilbert" I give a hat tip for the strip that correctly defined karma as the ability to do anything bad to anyone and figure that they somehow deserve it.)

And.... I also don't really mind when Mr. Hitchens goes after the idea of the rapture, since Protestants leave us Catholics out of it anyway....

So please, have at it Mr. Hitchens!!

1 comment:

MMajor Fan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.