Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Bible Reading: Wisdom 7:7,14

Therefore I prayed, and prudence was given me; I pleaded and the spirit of Wisdom came to me... for to men she is an unfailing treasure; those who gain this treasure won the friendship of God, to whom the gifts they have from discipline commend them.

***
This passage is worth a great deal of thought, which is one reason why I recommend it here. The author, a priest, is advising that not only is the spirit, Wisdom, a great treasure, but through Wisdom one can become in "friendship of God." God, in other words, rewards to those who treasure Wisdom (the wisdom provided by the Holy Spirit) with his actual friendship. Many think that Jesus was the first to speak of his relationship with his companions as friendship, but there is also this very important reference to the ability to be within the friendship of God himself.

Once again I highly recommend reading the biblical Book of Wisdom.