Monday, August 4, 2008

Lots of anger this year about boating accidents

Like this one, for example, boat and run, killing a father of two, not far from where I used to live.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/08/hitandrun_boating_accident_in.html

***
I haven't been on a small boat on a lake for a long time. My stepdad had a fishing boat, but my mother made him give it up in the 1980's (she didn't like the maintenance effort needed, at their age). I often was annoyed when I thought about it, thinking she made him give up one of his few hobbies. But as I read about these drunk boating speeding rage incidents, I now have to wonder if maybe we weren't lucky in the long run. My stepdad was a slow careful elderly driver, whether in the car or the boat, and those times have changed. He probably would have been mowed over by some speeder in a boat a long time ago. So the rash of boating accidents (many from incredible speeding at night, such as in CT, NH and other states) has maybe made me think that perhaps my stepdad was safer from *holes in boats without his hobby, even though that wasn't my mother's concern. Times have changed, and not for the better. It just isn't nice anywhere anymore, it seems.