Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Childhood story and Guan Yin

I have a lovely porcelain of Guan Yin, who is commonly referred to as the Chinese goddess of mercy. Here's a funny (though at the same time, pathetic) story. I didn't realize that there were people who watched what types of books I read, and what decorative art I purchased or made, thinking it would provide "clues" as to who I "really am" and if I'm a "reincarnated somebody." I didn't realize that this statue, plus my interest in the Chinese nation and people, was part of these loons being convinced that there was some sort of reincarnated presence in me.

What it actually is that the statue fondly reminded me of an incident in my childhood. Ever since I was a toddler I'd say my nightly prayers before bed, dedicating them to help those who cannot pray for themselves, and toward works of mercy. I would then sleep and dedicate my dreams to spreading the spirit and love of God. Well, one night, instead of just dreaming, I connected so strongly with the people of China that I actually got out of bed and stood in the corner, picking "peaches" off of a tree of mercy and distributing the peaches to those who needed it. My mother woke up and was dumbfounded. She asked me, "What are you doing?" and I answered, "I'm picking peaches." I was around four or five years old then, so this would have been in the late 1950's. Anyway, needless to say I never told her about my little mission, because she was not devout, to put it mildly, and certainly not imaginative. She did not want a child who stood out in any way, so I remained serene and undercover. I made sure to tell my body not to actually get up and sleep walk when going visiting from then on! :-)