Thursday, January 17, 2008

British Airways hero pilot & crew

Fantastic job Captain and crew!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/main.jhtml;jsessionid=RAM3WEDAUHPR1QFIQMGSFGGAVCBQWIV0?xml=/travel/2008/01/18/etheath118.xml

snip

The Boeing 777 is thought to have suffered engine failure 20 seconds from landing as it was still 400ft from the ground.

Despite the sudden loss of power the captain, Peter Burkill, managed to "glide" the airliner over houses, airport buildings and a busy road before "belly flopping" it on to grass at 100mph only 50 yards inside the perimeter fence.

snip

An airport worker who spoke to Capt Burkill said: "He told me the aircraft shut down and lost power. He glided it across and managed to get the nose up.

"It happened very close to coming in to land, probably over Hounslow. Everything was normal and suddenly 'boom', the power's gone.

"This man deserves a medal as big as a frying pan. He's done a fantastic job, he really has."

***
When I used to be a relatively frequent business flyer I insisted whenever I could on British Airways. I always had 100 percent confidence in their pilots. In fact I used BA frequent flyer mileage when I flew to Turkey in 1995. Britain has some of the best pilots in the world (their airspace is an enormous and crowded challenge with weather to boot) and I always had real confidence in British Airways (and hated it when I was forced by my business to fly other carriers because of their business arrangements and priorities other than safety etc.) Once again, well done, and get that Captain a huge medal!