Monday, January 21, 2008

Environment fund raising idea ignored from 1980s

In the 1980's I wanted to be appointed to or run for election to the board of an environmental protection group that focused on wildlife. A few people came to my home to visit me, but they obviously had no interest (so why did they travel all that way to come to my house? Yeah, I wonder too ha ha). They told me that even though my degree (from an Ivy League school) was in environmental sciences, their "members would never go for" my candidacy because I worked for a corporation. Yeah, these big evil corporations. I told them to explain that they need people who have a business perspective in order to bridge the gap. They said nope. So I guess they just wanted to see the inside of my Tudor house and see if I recognized them from a "past life" ha ha ha.

Anyway, here's the point. Even after being rejected I told these ladies about a great idea I had. I pointed out that many corporations advertise using the photos and images of animals in their advertisements and publicity releases. Sometimes it's a "logo" or "trademark" animal, like the Esso tiger, but often it's a one or two time shot of an animal to associate some quality of the animal to their product. Sometimes it's just to have an attention getting or beautiful context to frame their product. So I told them that for a while I've been thinking about how environmental groups that have projects related to specific animals should approach companies that use the image of their animal in advertising and ask for either a one time donation to that specific animal's protection, habitat or restocking, or develop an ongoing collaboration. The company could print credit for this in their advertising. For example a company that used an eagle or hawk flying in an advert could be hooked up with a raptor protection fund. For a donation they have satisfaction, knowledge their money is going to a specific "green" project with a measurable goal, and also use of a branding or logo in their future advertising that uses this animal. When I proposed this environmentalists were in the middle of fighting with tuna catchers who were killing many dolphins in unsafe nets. Right around the time I proposed this fund raising idea the tuna industry was awarded the right by the government to put the "dolphin safe" emblem on their cans of tuna. So my vision was of a donation type of collaboration with a rewarding mention in their advertising that the company "puts their money where their mouth is," in the sense that they don't just use an animal image in their advertising and not care about the welfare of the real species. I thought it was a great idea. Think how many endangered species could have been saved using my idea over the past twenty five years. Ad agencies could have a list of animals that need sponsors and suggest advertising with that intention in mind from the start. Anyway these ladies could barely control their yawning and eye rolling over my suggestion.

Hey, it's never too late (well, it is for some animals, but in theory it's never too late). Any ad execs, wildlife welfare groups, or corporate giving officers reading this could get the ball rolling on your own, one company/animal/project at a time. No need for a bureaucracy here, just some partnership and creative thinking on behalf of the animals.