Sunday, May 11, 2008

Eva sucks toe in photo; Red Cross aid ship sinks

Wow. *Said in unimpressed tone of voice.* Eva Mendes poses topless etc while sucking her own toe for Italian Vogue. At the same time the Red Cross can't even sail a boat of rice and water to the Burmese cyclone victims without sinking. (All four aid workers are rescued, thankfully). I guess people can take all sorts of amazing photographs but they can't land a single boat to feed 1000 people. Strange how it's all connected.

Too bad Eva is not actually biting her own toe nails. Then I could write a public health article about how to stop nail biting and it would actually be a public service. Lots of people nail bite (both fingers and toes, if they are lithe enough). What was a neurotic but mostly harmless activity should be discouraged even more as we are living in more dirty and disease prone environments. I took up nail biting as a child because my mother was deliberately painful and cruel when I was very young and she would cut my nails to the quick, causing pain and bleeding. So I figured out that if I could bite my own nails (not having access to scissors at that age) that she'd never "trim" them for me again, and it worked. It thus became a habit that I had to break. Two of my ex beaus bit their nails, though I never heard a specific reason for them to do so. It didn't bother me at all. However, as a counselor I have been advising people to stop nail biting because in our more hygiene conscious times it is wise to not put your hands in your mouth at all without washing, and biting nails is of course one way you could pick up a bug. Too bad that Eva didn't combine her "edgy" skills with some real *social purpose* LOL!

I don't have any advice about how to not sink an aid boat. I've given up trying to convey common sense and skills when people don't want to hear (or pay me for) my opinion either way. Maybe if Eva was on board the men would have been more careful? Boat overloaded? But the same thing happens with planes, where people overload planes who should know better. What can I say, it is human nature to continually err.