Monday, May 28, 2007

Lou Piniella calls out to the Lord...

From Cubs writer Paul Sullivan for the Chicago Tribune:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-070527cubsgamer,1,499269.story?coll=chi-sportstop-hed&vote30086303=1

The Los Angeles Dodgers found a way to beat the Cubs without even putting the bat on the ball in the 11th inning of their 2-1 victory Sunday at Dodger Stadium.

"Oh, Lord," exasperated Cubs manager Lou Piniella said afterward. "Oh, Lord."

*****
I love all baseball and don't really have "my team" (though I've consistently liked the Mets for many years.) Mostly I just enjoy good baseball. The Cubs were never on my radar until the 2005 season when I lived in Albuquerque and had season tickets to the Albuquerque Isotopes (Marlins farm team.) It was the first time I had home plate season tickets and loved it, except for some fans who sat near me who were, well, pigs. I don't mean a good lusty heckling of the opposing team, but I mean lots of potty talk and just being gross (even though it was a very family friendly establishment.) People behind me stuck their feet in my face, and I kinda got spat on too. Any hoo, I noticed that in between screaming about Rosanne Barr's naked butt, these particular fans loved the Chicago Cubs. So they got on my radar and I kept track of the standings. The Chicago White Sox, of course, went on to win the World Series.

Funnily enough, today, since the above quote the Cubs have lost again, this time to the Marlins. It makes me wonder if perhaps somewhere unbeknowst to them, that maybe the Cubs, to quote a pet sitter I once had, "has pissed off some gypsies?" LOL. Good luck Cubbies!

No comments: