Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Minnesota Twins "Get Back" to .500

Twins get mad, beat Sox
Pierzynski stirs pot, angry Twins expose Sox's flaws in opener
By Mark Gonzales
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070528soxgamer,1,4100319.story?coll=chi-sportstop-hed

I agree with writer Mark Gonzales, who implies in this headline that the Twins played a better game because they got mad. Every athlete and team is different, and how they get "in the zone" of peak performance differs wildly from one person or team to the next. For example, when I was learning golf, my female golf instructor kept telling me to "relax" my shoulders. Well, whenever I "relaxed" I cut a lot of slices, often missing the ball completely! See, because I've had years of training in Tai Chi and Kung Fu, when I "relax" I REALLY relax. I've lowered my blood pressure while wearing a cuff to show doc's how it's done. Anyway, I found that her idea of my "relaxing" my shoulders was to put the golf club in what I considered a strangle hold and make a rigid T of my shoulders! Go figure.

Anyway, the Twins are one of those teams that I have a mild interest in and am glad to see them working their way back up to .500. Pre-season Jason Bartlett was called a "sleeper" but I think he's doing pretty good. I dunno, time will tell. I do know one thing for sure: I'm very glad I did not choose Damian Miller for my fantasy baseball team.

No comments: