Sunday, October 21, 2007

In Memory of Max McGee

Sad Football News: the Passing of a Star and Good Man

My favorite football team is the Green Bay Packers. It has been since my childhood, and I am old enough to remember Vince Lombardi and Bart Starr's era. Max McGee of that team, who scored the first touchdown ever in Super Bowl history, died of a fall from the roof of his house. It is so sad, and he reminds me of my stepfather, who insisted on staying active around the house even when he was at an advanced age too.

I read that he fell while I was attending an outdoor concert here in Mississippi. I was standing under a tree near the side of the stage, and the weather was beautiful, the rock band great. I stood throughout their set. Yet I developed a fierce pain in my side, one that bothered me all night (if you've ever been punched in the kidney you know what kind of pain I am alluding to...) While listening to all night sports radio on ESPN I heard that Max had fallen.

God bless his soul and comfort his family and friends.