Friday, March 20, 2009

Selected Bible readings for today

Sirach 9:12

Rejoice not at a proud man's success;
remember he will not reach death unpunished.



Sirach 12:9

When a man is successful even his enemy is friendly;
in adversity even his friend disappears.



Sirach 13:1

He who touches pitch blackens his hand;
he who associates with an impious man learns his ways.



Sirach 14:1-2

Happy the man whose mouth brings him no grief,
who is not stung by remorse for sin.

Happy the man whose conscience does not reproach him,
who has not lost hope.



Ezekiel 36:8-11

As for you, mountains of Israel, you shall grow branches and bear fruit for my people Israel, for they shall soon return. See, I come to you, it is to you that I turn; you will be tilled and sown, and I will settle crowds of men upon you, the whole house of Israel; cities shall be repeopled, and ruins rebuilt. I will settle crowds of men and beasts upon you, to multiply and be fruitful. I will repeople you as in the past, and be more generous to you than in the beginning; thus you shall know that I am the Lord.