Friday, October 23, 2009

Wrong: "Nothing is free"

There's an old saying that "Nothing is free" and I just had to blog quickly about it. Yeah, I really mean quickly this time as I'm tired and soon to sleep. I heard the phrase in a song I like and it was great in the context. But I realized I could and should write something very important about it, which is that for the most important matters on earth, that practical and wry truism is wrong.

1. God is free. I don't mean some mushy just kind of wander around believing in some sort of godly spirit etc. I mean all the Abrahamic faiths: Judaism, Christianity and Islam. Knowing God is totally free to everyone, and knowing God within the faiths of one's forefathers is absolutely free. In fact, that's the whole point of God having made himself known to the faith children of Abraham, Jews, Christians and Muslims. He's there and he gives his words and his attention for free. No one should "pay money" to know God, the actual true one God. God requires our attention, not payments made between human beings.

2. Air is free. How quickly people forget that the very thing of life that is needed the most, air, is free, all the time and everywhere. [Remember the line from a pop song: "All I need is the air that I breathe and you."]

3. Sun is free. For thousands of years humans lived with no light to speak of but the sun. It is always there, even behind the clouds, keeping the earth warm enough for life.

4. Photosynthesis is free. Anyone can harvest a growing plant, and anyone can put a seed into the ground and watch it grow. The world's first "manufacturing capability," plants, have always been free, and one need not give a credit card number to make a plant grow and bear fruit.

I hope that you have found this helpful :-)