Friday, October 31, 2008

Book: Crazy for God, by Frank Schaeffer

I'm reading this book. "Oy vey!"

It's a very good book and a brave one. I can only imagine the asbestos underwear that the author would have needed, as he broke from what is called the "Evangelical circuit" and wrote this honest memoir of his childhood and adult crisis of faith.

The "oy vey" is because it spells out the incredibly elitist and exclusionary "faith" that is pushed by many of these Evangelicals, and why I have pointedly ignored them for most of my life thus far. Their hostility toward Catholicism obviously does not wrap them in glory in my eyes, and their spiteful sanctimonious oneupmanship of each other is also not praiseworthy. But that's the way they are, and that is why none of the famous Evangelicals were even on my radar (I'd never heard of the Schaeffers, ha ha, seriously) except for the one I admire the most, Billy Graham (Happy Birthday, by the way!) But what I do admire is where Frank Schaeffer can paint for his readers a fair assessment of the qualities of a good parent and grandparent, in a time when as those of us of at least a "certain age" well recall, there were many more good examples and role models than there are today. Even social climbing moms in those days still were, well, moms, who loved and cared for their children without making every motion of theirs a "striking a pose," as do many modern mothers or, yuck, "caregivers" do today.

I'll write a little review when I finish reading it.