Thursday, October 23, 2008

Reminiscing about fashion

The first designer clothes I ever bought was a Diane von Furstenberg wrap dress, when they first came out and were a sensation. Here is a link to an example in the Met design museum.

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/amsp/ho_1997.487.htm

The one I bought was exactly that style, bought as best as I can recall around 1976-77. However, mine was cream background with random red pattern, less dense coloration than what is in the museum sample. I loved it, it was stylish and very comfortable to wear. As I was thin and quite fit during that time it looked really nice on me.

I admit, it is hurtful when people who were barely born at the time that I bought that dress have made jabs at me regarding my not wearing trendy clothes. I could not afford anything couture or fashionable before this dress, which I bought when I was earning a paycheck working after having graduating from college. I really wonder what people expect.