Sunday, June 8, 2008

Another book recommendation

This is for everyone, but especially for the young people. I recommend you read "Working" by Studs Terkel. It was a huge sensation when it was published in 1974 because it profiled real people doing real everyday jobs. I loved it.

One reason I think it would be good for many people to read is that it is a valuable "reset" button so you can learn about what life was like (and is still like for many "average") people before there was computers, video games, the entertainment complex, and most forms of electronic communications, including mobile phones.

I highly recommend it. There is an innocence and a dignity in these humans telling their stories of work that is lost today and needs to be regained to some degree, if it can. I think young people can be a huge part of this reclamation, for their own benefit and for society's.