Tuesday, July 15, 2008

A book I'd write for Muslims

If I had the opportunity I would write a book with this following idea. For all the Prophets who are revered in the Qur'an, especially Isa, Jesus, I would extract sayings from the Bible and collect them in a book for Muslims in particular. I would avoid putting in the collection any quotations that would be troubling to a devout Muslim (such as Jesus' statements about his relationship with God) because the purpose of the book would be to bring more enlightenment and comfort, rather than cause consternation or confusion. However, because Isa is attested to as being a Prophet sent by the one God in the Qur'an, reading some of his sayings would not be contrary to teachings about the faith in the Qur'an, nor would be a ploy for conversion efforts. I would compare it to the Hadith, or the sayings of the companions of the Prophet (PBUH), where the purpose is to gain as much holy insight from the approved Prophets regarding how to please God and know God's will as possible.

This way a devout Muslim could also read the sayings of the shared Biblical prophets without causing consternation that they are reading the actual Bible.

Anyway, this is an idea I've had for a while, and thought I'd mention it here.