Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Abortion candidates and "proportion"

I support the declaration of the Kansas bishops and their thoughtful analysis regarding how Catholics should logically derive a decision regarding if voting for a pro abortion candidate is possible. Of course it is, but in a very soundly written analysis, consideration of other very vital and valid policy issues are today outweighed by the incredible distorting power of the evil of abortion that whether directly or behind the scenes pushes down in importance all other issues. They are using sound reasoning.

I have posted before that a Catholic can in good faith vote for a pro abortion candidate if they are doing so because 1) other issues are of vital importance to them and 2) they are not voting for that candidate because of their stance as being pro abortion, but "holding their noses" and voting because of the essential weight of the other issues in the race. Let's use a scenario that is not applicable to this year's elections so that we can use a clean analogy. Suppose the USA was in a hot war conflict with dire immediate potential consequences and, inconveniently, an election occurs at the vital moment. Suppose the pro life candidate is an incredible dunce in military matters while the pro abortion candidate would continue the winning military strategy. Obviously a Catholic can in good faith vote for the pro abortion candidate if they feel that the pro life candidate would leave the entire country a charred ruin due to mismanaging the hot conflict.

The point the bishops are making is, however, that it seems that all the ills that our society is now suffering can be traced back to the one issue of abortion having become so prevalent and distorting that it has cheapened life and negated it on a scale that cannot be ignored, and thus stirs the currents of all the other ills that our society suffers. I have to agree with them. I think that Americans have lost the moral right and clarity of thought that is a privilege of voting because of the sickening love fest with conducting abortions and more abortions. I don't think that humans, Americans, can make good decisions in any other arena of policy exactly because they have allowed themselves to be so warped by abortion itself. This is, I believe, supportive, though taking a different angle, of what the Kansas bishops are saying. They are speaking of the moral weight of abortion, while I am pointing out the distorting and skewing effect that the abortion cultural orgy has had on the American brain's ability to render any reasonable decision in all the other areas of public and social policy.

All you have to do to see this is see the level of hatred directed by the pro abortionists toward Governor Sarah Palin, simply for being a mother who is totally open to life and against abortion. Everyone has their favorite political candidate to loathe for whatever reason, but to hate her because she is a walking embodiment of liberated pro life motherhood is unprecedented. I find it incredibly disturbing and my sense of being disturbed and repulsed by their loathing of her is not aided by the fact that I too have been loathed by strangers for their delusions about my views of femininity (unlike her, I never had a chance to be asked and answered, so I was actually loathed for not only what I believed but loathed for being silently accused of believing something I did not believe).

This foul stench of the orgy of abortion has destroyed the current culture and society's ability to discern about ANY policy issue at all, whether it be judicial, governmental, military, economic or charitable. The younger generation who does not remember life before society decided to throw their sex organs around and toss babies in garbage disposals have been especially distorted, but with the incredible instinct of truth, they are the first to know that something is very wrong. And so the very generation that grew up not knowing a pro life culture, society and ethos is the first to smell the stench of what they have been given, and question it. And so the hope, as always, rests with the young to fix the problem. I hope so.

Years ago I worked for one of the petrochemical giants. Many asked me why I, an environmentalist, would work for them. I found many executives there actually loved wildlife and the environment. I believed then, because it is the truth, that people must work for change from within. That's called bearing witness. So, I reasoned, and explained to others, one can never hope to change the stance of a petrochemical company if everyone who could bear witness refused to work for them and did not change them from within. Unfortunately I never got to find out if it would have worked, as I was driven from the company by one of the most morally bankrupt and ethically evil "men" I have ever met. He would tell employees stories of taunting his own children by waving to them from where he lived with his girlfriend. Ugh, I can't even describe how awful he was, and he was allowed to torment me into leaving (in fact, I left one week before I would have been vested, hence I lost my retirement benefits). I was his hate punching bag, and this was in 1985. Imagine how much hate I've been socked with since then. But my point is that if I had not been driven out of there, I would have persevered and perhaps been in a position to help when some years later they suffered a MAJOR environmental disaster and handled it incredibly poorly, something that still haunts them, trust me, it does, whether they know it or not.

People, try to see the sewage you have been living within and forcing upon each other.

And so this is why, even though humans should have more decision making ability and variety than they do, and I have always endorsed it, I have to say that humans have reached the point where, like I said, I must agree with the bishops of Kansas that the evil of abortion has now outweighed anyone's ability to discern and consider other issues.