Sunday, September 7, 2008

Lots of cops' deaths in the news

Whenever I read about the loss of a cop due to either violence or accident in the line of duty, I am saddened, especially thinking of the families, often with young children, and the cop's parents and spouse, left bereft.

But I also think about how two years ago a female cop persecuted me in my hometown, while I was grieving the death of my stepfather, and I had done nothing wrong. That situation was never remediated or acknowledged, and I was dragged through a lot of pain for absolutely no good reason.

Sometimes people post unsympathetic things when a cop dies, in the comments section. I have been forced to see both sides of that reaction myself. And this is from someone whose father was a Deputy Sheriff, and whose family has always been very supportive of law enforcement. But then one of them steps over the line and mortifies me, and ruins it for everyone.

Do not force your guardian angels to take a "neutral" stance toward your safety, because that is what they have done because of the misdeeds of a section of law enforcement.

Having said that, I have selected one cop, Jason Fishburn, seriously wounded and now recovering, for whom I have retained saying steady prayers. One cop. I used to pray for all of their safety each night. It is sad all around.