Sunday, August 3, 2008

I like Doobies but not this song

http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Minute-By-Minute-lyrics-Doobie-Brothers/80E1C0615806E75848256A4E0010C627

Hey, don't worry,
I've been lied to
I've been here many times before
Girl, don't you worry,
I know where I stand
I don't need this love,
I don't need your hand
I know I could turn, blink, and you'd be gone
Then I must be prepared any time to carry on
But minute by minute by minute by minute
I keep holding on
Oh, minute by minute by minute by minute
I keep holding on
You will stay just to watch me, darlin'
Wilt away on lies from you
Can't stop the habit of livin' on the run
I take it all for granted like you're the only one
Livin' on my own
Somehow that sounds nice
You think I'm your fool
Well, you may just be right

***
The protagonist in this song is a self pitying a*hole who stays in a no-love relationship just to ruin it for both of them, savoring the ruin "minute by minute."

This song is instructive about the subject of hell, though.

As I blogged yesterday, one is presenting one's "final evidence" to God while alive, not after death. And so there is no chance to "accept the mercy of God or Jesus Christ" after you are dead, fools. So "minute by minute" while ALIVE you are rejecting the mercy of God, and it is no longer offered once you are dead.

So this song is an instructive "negative example" indicating the sick societal mindset and thus illustrating what NOT to do, rather than admire the protagonist loser.