Saturday, December 6, 2008

Delighted of probable Gen. Shinseki nomination

I could not be more pleased than to read that General Shinseki is rumored to have been tapped by President Elect Obama to the top position at Veteran Affairs.

I remember being thrilled when President Reagan elevated the previous agency that handled Veterans' matters to the Cabinet level. I must say that I have been disappointed at its inability to renew itself to provide only the very best to veterans and their dependents, and I think that General Shinseki is just the man to restructure and renew this vitally important and morally imperative department, and I wish him well.

My stepfather, rest his soul, was treated very poorly at a VA Hospital, many years ago, and I've not forgotten that, no I have not. For those of you who are not of the USA the term "VA hospital" has become, both fairly and unfairly, a short hand term of expression for second rate medical care in quite cold facilities. With the scandalous treatment of many Iraqi conflict veterans, I see that my personal impression based on my family's experience certainly has not changed. It had better change.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Shinseki