Saturday, December 27, 2008

Understanding time and war, a poem

This is by Carl Sandburg, my favorite poet. In order to preserve the spacing, since I'm too computer deficient to format properly on this blog, I've added the grass special effects, LOL.

Austerlitz and Waterloo were bloody battles during the Napoleonic Wars, Gettysburg a bloody battle in the American Civil War, and Ypres and Verdun bloody battles of World War I.



Grass


Pile the bodies high at Austerlitz and Waterloo.
Shovel them under and let me work -
///////////////////I am the grass; I cover all.


And pile them high at Gettysburg
And pile them high at Ypres and Verdun.
Shovel them under and let me work.
Two years, ten years, and passengers ask the conductor:
///////////////////What place is this?
///////////////////Where are we now?

///////////////////I am the grass.
///////////////////Let me work.