Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The rancor of some reformation vs Catholic

I just posted this on a blog where someone considering "swimming the Tiber" is doing some very worthy and polite responses to some of the polemics from the reformed church side.

Hi there. I continue to not see the reformation vs Catholic Church question for an individual as either a debate or a legal/evidence taking endeavor, though I understand your light hearted analogy. I also observe the deadly earnest in which some engage this question like it is combat.

My position is that if one is content where one worships, what is the problem? If one is serene and fulfilled in one's belief as articulated by that place of worship, why consider a change and more so, why attack those who are not there with you? Does not a person's soul know the truth and be serene with it? Does not argumentativeness come from a not admitted inner uncertainty? If the reformers feel they are right, why are they angry at those who sit in a different pew? Catholics do not spend all of their time grinding their teeth over the faith of their distant Christian brothers.

If the answer is that there is a lack of serenity and fulfillment in one's choice, or in the choice of one's brother or sister, what does that actually mean? That is the action of the Holy Spirit upon a person's soul. The Holy Spirit is the teacher and intercessor that all believe in. So is not disquiet the sign of the Holy Spirit's wings, urging one to move?

Acts 20: 22-24
And now, behold, I am going to Jerusalem, compelled by the Spirit, not knowing what will happen to me there. But I fear none of these, nor do I count my life more precious than myself, if only I may accomplish my course and the ministry that I have received from the Lord Jesus, to bear witness to the gospel of God.