Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Where are likable people?

People just are not likable anymore. I'm old enough to remember what friendliness and sociability were like. People were relaxed around each other, and enjoyed each other's company, without judging them. The most a person would do is roll one's eyes at a friend's habits or affectations, while at the same time maintaining that warm fondness in your heart for your friend, your neighbor, your acquaintance. Everyone has an agenda, everyone has a secret identity, and everyone has an ax to grind nowadays. Like the ancient Greek who searched for the one honest man, I feel like I am increasingly searching for people who are just plain honest likeable. And trust me, I have pretty low standards for the accomplishments and verbosity of my friends. I miss the people I knew as a child who were farmers, auto mechanics, who did not even know what erudite means, but knew how to be a friend.