Monday, August 6, 2007

Why Baseball is my Favorite Sport

Like most kids in high school I felt personal loyalty to my school through our football team, and so I enjoyed football as my primary sport. However, I also followed very closely our wrestling team, having a close friend on the team, and also I enjoyed the sport. It was then that I noticed that a team sport that is comprised of individual matches is doubly interesting. It is possible to not only cheer for the team, but enjoy each team member's development and personal record. My friends and I loved attending the wrestling matches and bringing the house down cheering for each of our guys as they fought for the pin in their match. We were loud!

It is this love of a great clean sport that carried me over into being a really big baseball fan. I love a good baseball game and actually, I consider all baseball games good ones. I will pull over to the side of the road to even watch a local game. I tend not to have a favorite team because I'm pretty much pulling for everyone to do their best and most of all, love their sport. I can be watching a game where one team is getting the worst drubbing, but I'm still watching each team member to see how he is doing with his pitching, catching, fielding or at bat. I'm watching his stats not because I'm putting pressure on, but because I'm cheering on each play as being not just part of the team effort, but their own individual effort, their own individual history. And then the third crown in the enjoyment of baseball, after the crown of the team and the crown of the individual performance, is the wonderful history of statistics, records and historical facts and trivia that is enriched with each and every player on each and every team. I guess there is also a fourth crown, which is the farm system, which is also so American in its opportunity, its drama, and its goodness of sport. Anyway, this is why I love baseball and consider it the "best of all sports!" Though I've also recently developed a taste for watching snowboard and skateboard ;-) It's just not the same though!!!