Sunday, January 4, 2009

Bible Readings, various, of consolation

Isaiah 12:1-2
On that day, you will say: I give you thanks, O Lord; though you have been angry with me, your anger has abated, and you have consoled me. God indeed is my savior. I am confident and unafraid. My strength and my courage is the Lord, and he has been my savior.

Matthew 5:5
Blessed are they who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

Matthew 19:13-14
Little children were brought to him then that he might lay his hands on them and pray; but the disciples rebuked them. But Jesus said to them, "Let the little children be, and do not hinder them from coming to me, for of such is the kingdom of heaven."

John 6:5, 9-11
When, therefore, Jesus had lifted up his eyes and seen that a very great crowd had come to him, he said to Philip, "Whence shall we buy bread that these may eat?"..."There is a young boy here who has five barley loaves and two fishes; but what are these among so many?" Jesus then said, "Make the people recline." Now there was much grass in the place. then men therefore reclined, in number about five thousand. Jesus then took the loaves, and when he had given thanks, distributed them to those reclining; and likewise the fishes, as much as they wished.

John 10:9
"I am the door. If anyone enter by me he shall be safe, and shall go in and out, and shall find pastures."

John 14:1-2, 18, 25
"Let not your heart be troubled. You believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house there are many mansions. Were it not so, I should have told you, because I go to prepare a place for you."

"I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you."

"These things I have spoken to you while yet dwelling with you. But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and bring to your mind whatever I have said to you."

John 16:21-22
"A woman about to give birth has sorrow, because her hour has come. But when she has brought forth the child, she no longer remembers the anguish for her joy that a man is born into the world. And you therefore have sorrow now; but I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice, and your joy no one shall take from you..."

Psalm 30:12
You changed my mourning into dancing; you took off my sackcloth and clothed me in gladness.