Sunday, December 23, 2007

It is not a rivalry

The Catholic Mass and the sacraments are the gift of Jesus to Christians, whereby the need to sacrifice to God and replenish grace are satisfied through the New Covenant that replaced the Old Covenant of Jewish Law. Understanding that I do not know why people do not run to Mass, although I recognize that much of the sanctity of the faith has been short changed when it was "modernized."

Having said that I'm as fond of a good "praise and worship" service - and yes, even a good old tent revival - as anybody. I have no problems at all with the wonderful worship that takes place in Protestant and non-denomination churches. However, they are not substitutes for the Mass. They are praise and worship of God, but they are not the sacrifice of the Mass to God.

I think both are needed, obviously. I just think this needed to be pointed out. Humans have a gift for missing the obvious.