Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Pope Benedict XVI and my feelings about JPII

I loved the previous Pope, the Great John Paul II. I've been with him throughout, remembering to his earliest days, and felt a great love. He resisted the urge to "be cool and hip" when it came to theology, withstanding the pressure on him to compromise on theology and morality when around him the world voted for depravity. He made some mistakes, as all humans do, and I saw them and grieved as I saw him making them. But he kept the faith pure and intact and that is what the Pope, as Vicar of Jesus Christ himself, must do, even if he is the last one standing on a sinking ship. And so I dearly loved him, cried when he died, and have a picture of him here in my apartment, kissing the hand of the Virgin Mary, who saved him from physical death in 1981.

Now, our dear Pope Benedict XVI, not only do I fervently love him, but I am busting my buttons with pride over him. I would be the annoying mother with a wallet full of pictures of her "favorite child," pigeon holing anyone passing by and forcing them to look at pictures of him, ha ha! "Isn't he the best of all?" I would say, pointing out the day's events and all that Pope Benedict XVI says and does. He is putting in much wise love and maintenance to the building of Christ's Church. Maintenance work is as important to a building as new additions and fancy architecture. He is teaching, he is forming the faith anew with stories and writings that all can understand. He is that marvel, a prodigious scholar who can explain God to a child. He is honest and he knows his job as Vicar of Jesus Christ, yet he ponders and wishes to address every problem of the world, Christian or not. He shows people how to pray and love God simply by doing it, as he does with his whole heart and soul. There is nothing like a man who is an exemplary example of being a man. And he is restoring the Church to the words, rites and atmosphere of faith that it was intended to have all these years. Remember that a Church building is an enclosure around sacred space. It is what happens in that space that is the communion with God. I hope he kicks liturgical dancing and new age garbage out of the Church and right to the rings of Uranus where it belongs. See? I could go on for quite a long blogging, extolling his praises and sharing mama pictures ha ha.

God bless Pope Benedict XVI and may all his prayerfulness prosper not only Catholics but all people worldwide.