Sunday, December 16, 2007

My confirmation name Catherine

For those of you who wondered (but of course did not ask), I did not choose Catherine based on the Doctor St. Catherine of Sienna. I chose Catherine to honor actually two saints. One was St. Catherine of Alexander, who was learned in science and who argued with the pagans in debates before being martyred. She was an early role model for an educated Christian woman.

But I also wanted to honor the St. Catherine who lived 1500 years later and received from Our Lady the Miraculous Medal. Her faith was formidable and as a result many of her generation were blessed and converted through her persistence in delivering Mary's gift and message. She was canonized only about twenty years before I had my Confirmation ceremony and she was much on my mind during that time. It's a generational thing. Many of you do not remember the worldwide sensation and impact that the revelation of the Miraculous Medal had, but fathers and mothers who were of the World War II generation certainly did.