Friday, November 28, 2008

At last righteous defense of Pope Pius XII

Few things pain me as much as the ingratitude and lies spread about Pope Pius XII, who had indeed done more to protect the Jews, while in the greatest danger himself, than anyone can brag. I remember the 1950's when the truth about Pope Pius XII was still known and honored. I actually found it difficult to believe my eyes when I've read the scurrilous attacks on his honor and reputation since the 1960's, and especially the past several decades as Jews themselves got caught up in the witch trial mentality (and fall into every trap that Communist detractors of God and faith set, it seems).

So I am delighted and express my thanks to those righteous Jewish leaders who have spoken up, even when the truth is not popular (though why people prefer to continue to believe the twisted and the bad lies over the inspiring truth is beyond me; that is one of the unsavory mysteries of human weakness).

Do give this article a complete read, and my thanks to Rabbi Silver and those who show great honor and truthfulness.

http://www.jewishledger.com/articles/2008/11/25/news/on_the_cover/news01.txt