Thursday, November 27, 2008

Food talk: Thanksgiving

I love to design menus, and also to read what other people are planning for their special meals, including the President, but I also like just seeing what people are buying in the stores, and thus I can surmise their menus. For example, being here in the south, I was delighted but not surprised to see one man buy his turkey along with a packet of dumplings. Even though I've had solo Thanksgiving dinners for many years now, I like to still put in an effort to make a unique but easy "dining experience." Here's what I had.

Night before: Pasta

Dice summer sausage or salami and lightly fry in saucepan. Add tomato sauce (this year I used World Classics Six Cheese flavor) and simmer while flavors blend.
Cook penne (Full Circle Penne Rigate) pasta in boiling water with dash of salt.
Prepare serving bowl by lining bottom with fresh miniature tomatoes.
Layer cooked penne over the tomatoes.
Layer grated Parmesan cheese over the penne.
Spoon the cooked sauce over the top. Serve.

(It was so good, if I say so myself, that I had two bowls and really overate!)

Thanksgiving day:

Bowl of fresh peeled and sliced pink grapefruit (wonderfully provided by Wal-Mart).
Slice of whole wheat bread with peanut butter.
Thick slice from a pre-cooked ham. Top with pineapple rings and heat.
Plain green beans.

Two choices of desert:
Pepperidge Farm Chocolate 3-layer cake topped with Reddiwip whipped cream.
Schlunder Festtagskuchen "Teatime Cake" with almonds and hazelnuts topped with Reddiwip.

Beverage:
Schwepp's Ginger Ale soda pop.

(Yes, I decided not to have turkey this year and resort to ham with pineapple, which is a traditional family holiday dish.)