Friday, November 28, 2008

The prayer "Act of Charity"

Back in the 1950's and 1960's we Catholic children used to regularly pray in our personal devotions prayers called the "Acts" (one each for faith, hope, charity and contrition). Here is my "favorite," the Irish form of the "Act of Charity" from my 1962 Missal.

Act of Charity

O, my God, I love Thee with my whole heart and soul, and above all things, because Thou art infinitely good and perfect and most worthy of all my love; and, for Thy sake, I love my neighbor as myself. Mercifully grant, O my God, that having loved Thee on earth, I may love and enjoy Thee for ever in heaven.

Amen.

One could certainly add this to one's daily prayers and find it very spiritual refreshing. Often people do not know what to pray, and this prayer cannot be too highly recommended as it has the priorities perfectly aligned.