Friday, November 14, 2008

Suggestion for Walmart

I'm a fan of Walmart and a frequent shopper there. I will also always appreciate how much my stepfather, who died two years ago, loved getting his "walks" at Walmart, when he did his shopping, and what a comfort it was to him then.

I have a suggestion. I would like to see every Walmart have staff trained in the proper installation and checking of infant and child car seats. If the Walmart has an auto service the staff could be in that section, but even if they do not have an auto service I'd like this suggestion to be located somewhere in the store. Then I would like Walmart to partner with the usual local sources of periodic provision of low or no cost car seats in order to actually provide this free service every day. As I see it, a poor person could bring his or her infant or child to the store, in their car, and the staff person would identify what type of car seat is needed, see if it is in the available free or low cost stock, install it and teach the parent or caregiver how to use it. I think this would be of the highest charitable and civic service.

I know that agencies have like once a year programs, but babies are born every day and parents are poor every day, so it occurred to me that Walmart would be providing a blessing to the poor if they allowed their store to be the drive up to and obtain this service basis. Thank you in advance for thinking about this idea, and certainly any other local stores who decide this idea would be good for them and their community too.