Saturday, February 9, 2008

Am eating some hearts of palm vegetable

I love hearts of palm. These two pieces I am having are from a jar, and the palm was grown in Costa Rica. It tastes great. I've read some greenies complain because palm trees are cut down and only the centers are harvested for the actual vegetable to eat. I mean, duh. You would think my ex-vegan and whatever friends would cheer whenever I eat a vegetable or fruit dish, which I do quite often. But no, they always have something to complain about. Here's a big secret: "Psst! Palm trees can be regrown just like heads of lettuce and bean sprouts! It just takes a lot longer so it has to be well planned, like with any tree farm! Duh!"

Someone I once knew emailed me to ask me if I was bothered by the fact he washed his hair with $300 shampoo. I think he was surprised (and probably did not believe me) when I had no problem with it. When I hear something like $300 bottles of shampoo I think two things: 1) obviously he can afford it financially and 2) how great that there are jobs that people have making this shampoo. It's probably all filled with natural ingredients and so forth, so I think of the farmers and the processors who earn a decent wage for their family because someone creates and supports this niche market. I have no problem with that at all.

So when I have a treat food like these hearts of palm I think about the farmers who grew and took care of the trees, part of which I am now eating. It makes me happy that I can buy a jar of heart of palm and know that farmers in Costa Rica have at least this means to support themselves and their families. I trust that they are able to manage their natural resources wisely and have no reason to believe otherwise. God bless them!