Monday, February 25, 2008

The sugar refinery tragedy

I'm sure everyone who follows the news knows about the terrible explosion at the Imperial Sugar refinery near Savannah, Georgia. Prayers are needed for the families and for the victims, many who are still hospitalized in critical condition. http://savannahnow.com/node/453466 Two have recently gone to the Lord from their injuries. Burns are terrible injuries. They are the hardest to recover from and because they destroy so much they are the ones most resistent to even miraculous grace, but do pray for the survivors that they can resist threats like infection and for their bodies' endurance.

Imperial Sugar is also marketed under the Dixie Crystals name. Up north I mostly saw Domino Sugar and it's a fine product. But once I heard of this explosion I went to the store to look and see what they had, and the Jerry Lee near my apartment carries Dixie Crystals. (I've not bought sugar since I moved here because I've not been doing any baking). I bought a table dispenser of Dixie Crystals Premium Pure Cane Sugar as a gesture of solidarity while the company gets back on its feet from this loss. I don't mean economically they are in danger, as this was just one of their locations and they have capacity, but I mean emotionally, where the company and the community have suffered so greatly. The company has said that they will rebuild a state of the art facility and I think that is correct and wonderful. So I bought one of their sugar dispensers as my personal gesture of solidarity. I had to think of something to use it on so I bought some Louisiana strawberries and sprinkle the sugar on them! Anyway, I thought I'd share this so that some of you who might feel helpless when you read about something like this might share my idea of grabbing one of their products as a gesture of support. All the best to everyone who has suffered through this, and hats off to the heroes, survivors and rebuilders who will not let this focal point of the community vanish into the disaster.

When I moved down here it was sugar cane harvest time in Louisiana. I took some pictures of the trucks and the cane processing plant. I even collected some canes that blew off the truck, using them in my flower arranging (a bit too perishable for what I'd hoped they'd be). But I found sugar cane scented candles at Walmart and LOVE them.