Friday, February 8, 2008

Pro life doesn't need friends like this

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_8198106

After what some at the Capitol were calling a case of political foot-in-mouth disease, Rep. Larry Liston today apologized for calling unwed teenage parents "sluts."

"The derogatory term I used was offensive and inappropriate, and I would like to apologize for using it," the Colorado Springs Republican said in a statement. "Because of my unfortunate choice of language, the message that I was trying to get across about personal responsibility and parental responsibility has been overshadowed.

"I certainly regret using the term I did," he said.
***
It's good he apologized but feminists aren't the only ones outraged at his original remark and his obvious mindset: I am outraged. Here we are trying to get the number of abortions down and get parenting to be treasured and valued again and this idiot waxes fondly about the good old days when unmarried parents were "sluts," driven out of town and shamed. Who wastes time thinking about that, say nothing about making his old geezer whining part of the public record during legislative work, when there has been over forty million abortions? Where are his priorities? Apologies aside his comment said a lot and if I were a pro-lifer in his state I'd sure look at his attitude askance. I hope he doesn't prefer the "sluts" have "shame" and therefore have a good old "clean and safe abortion."

By the way, I got called a slut once by a guy who was practically a human drug mule. This is why I'm very skeptical about people who hurl that kind of judgmental talk around when they are the last to be truly qualified to speak so.