Monday, February 11, 2008

Sports talk... Auto Racing

My dad was already in his 40's (and recently demobilized from WWII service) when Brewerton Speedway opened in 1948 just down the street from where his parents had their bar and hotel. So when I was born in the 1950's and we'd visit my grandmother I remember the speedway well, though I never got to attend a race ha ha. A few years ago my bro, his wife and one son and I drove around the old stomping grounds and I asked him to pull into the parking lot so we could look the Speedway over.

Now my stepdad (passed away two years ago this Easter) and my mother are big NASCAR fans and were totally for Earnhardt. After he passed (rest his soul) they followed Junior. They are totally Chevy. I'm a Tony Stewart fan, though I cheer for everyone too, as usual ha ha, I find it hard to root against anyone. When I was in college I cheered for A.J. Foyt.

Four days ago I noticed out of the corner of my eyes in a display case an incredibly cool pink model car in a racing gear store. The lady who owns the store explained to me that this is the Action model of Dale Earnhardt's 1956 Ford Victoria. I had to have it so I bought it, even though it's not a Chevy ha ha. I got the model with the apricot metal flake roof. It's great quality and extremely cool, and I immediately put it among my other work/art table desk accessories, so it's right here just a couple of feet away from this laptop computer. I haven't watched any of the NASCAR races in the past couple years since I'm TV deprived at the moment, so I just get my updates on the Internet.

Wow, Tony Pedregon got my attention with that fireball of a car! Glad he got out of that one OK on Sunday. Nerves of steel and asbestos underwear no doubt :-)