Thursday, February 7, 2008

I know how tornado victims feel

Read this very insightful and touching article about their losses:

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2008Feb07/0,4670,StormsPiecesofHome,00.html

***
Twice my home was wrecked by "human tornadoes." I lost my house, my furnishings, and even had to dumpster antiques, family photographs, my library of books, paintings, my clothes, just about everything you could think of. The little bit I have left is in storage as I resisted a third effort to make me throw away even that, as I was forced to live in a garage while my stepfather died. I know what it's like to watch it rain onto one's personal possessions as they sit in a dumpster in the driveway, and people drive by staring, but go on to their intact homes and full bank accounts. I know, I know how it feels. There's not much I can say to console people on the material level as that ability was twice and a third time stripped away from me in public, and in my heart. Today the storage unit people charged me an extra $10 for being late on a payment. But that doesn't much matter, that's petty cruelty compared to the master level cruelty I've repeatedly and still endure, at least I endure it somewhat. A lot of my spirit is gone not because of the things, the memories and the material goods, but from the knowledge of how deliberate and cruelly this was planned and executed to me.