Friday, June 8, 2007

CD: Jonathan Butler "Brand New Day"

Jonathan Butler, "Brand New Day," 2007 Maranatha! Music

I got this CD today and like it very much! I highly recommend it. Here's my non-snobby review :-)

1. Brand New Day
The most "gospel" sounding song on the CD, and you just can't feel bad after listening to it, energetic and crisp!
2. Brand New Day (reprise)
Whoa, very cool reprise, great instrumentation with some funky organ playing.
3. Gonna Lift You Up
The intro is very U2, and there's an intriguing mixture of gospel and U2 type guitar vibes, a fast and really great song.
4. O Magnify the Lord
You just totally want to dance when listening to this song.
5. You Are My Everything
I love the gentleness of this song.
6. Mercy (with Jodie Butler)
This song has a beautiful simplicity. It could easily be sung along with one's child, which would be great.
7. Let the Redeemed Say So
A theme song of the CD: "If it weren't for Jesus, where would I be today? Let the redeemed say so" he writes on the liner.
8. I Love to Worship
An intimate and gorgeous song. I love the line, "I love to sing to the Ancient of Days."
9. We Love to Praise Your Name (prelude)
Guitar leads to percussion to voice, with a strengthening African beat. Great!!
10. We Love to Praise Your Name
The vocals are wonderfully supported by a horn arrangement, and very charming background vocals. His voice is so great. More vocals after a fade are a nice surprise.
11. He Said He Would
The promises of Jesus profiled among repeats of "He Said He Would" with great effect.
12. I Believe
From the opening strings to the beautiful vocals and arrangement, a reminder of all that's good with the world.
13. Tell Me (Do You Still Love Jesus)
I knew I'd love this song and I do, especially with Jonathan's lovely guitar accompaniment.

No comments: