Saturday, June 9, 2007

Major Roger Clemens Fan Here

While I often (though not always) cheer for the Mets, and while I have, what might be charitably called "a complicated relationship" with the Yankees, and while I did cheer for Boston to "reverse the curse" in 2004 (but not necessarily before that, ha), one thing is consistent: I've always been a huge fan of Roger Clemens. I am totally thrilled he is back with the Yankees, and with his win today. I've always liked and admired Roger Clemens and shuddered when he played for teams that, well, I wasn't deriving much entertainment from! Though when he pitched, and if I had occasion to watch, I'd forget what team he is pitching for and just root for him. (I enjoy baseball so much that I often forget what team a player is with, and even when watching a game, sometimes lose track of which team is at bat and cheer for whoever anyway!) But there are certain players (like I mentioned Catfish in a previous post) who I just admire and enjoy throughout their career, and Roger is one of them.

Just like an auntie looking through family photo album, I was sitting in my rocker and looking through "The World Series: An Illustrated Encyclopedia of the Fall Classic" ("A Lavishly Illustrated Tribute to a Century of Baseball's Fall Classic") by Josh Leventhal, and there's a great picture of "The Rocket" on page 260, pitching in the 1986 World Series against the Mets. I was in Boston on business then (listening to idiots talk about how to re-engineer a company into its total destruction), though not at the game (*sigh*). Anyway, I love that picture of him. It's the glow of his face as he's in his first World Series and doing what he loves. Great!

No comments: