Monday, June 4, 2007

My Favorite Music

Black gospel. By favorite, I mean that I could listen to it 24 x 7 in any mood. Here's some background to gospel from the reference book, "Encyclopedia of American Gospel Music," W. K. McNeil, editor:

Defining when gospel started is more problematic because there are many times one could select as gospel's starting point. It could be dated from the 1850s when these songs first appeared in religious revivals. Or it could be dated from the urban revivalism era of the late nineteenth century. Or it could be dated from 1874 when Philip Paul Bliss titled one of his collections "Gospel Songs."

There are some other problems in dating gospel's origins, the major one being the divisions of white and black gospel. Although there has been considerable interplay between the two types of gospel, they have different starting points. Generally, white gospel is considered to be the older of the two, although both have roots extending back far beyond their actual origins. White gospel is usually dated from the second half of the nineteenth century, while black gospel's basic performance style dates from the first decade of the twentieth century.

snip

I love both white and black gospel and enjoy many songs from both heritages. There is a quality about the black gospel, though, that is like pure gold to me. I believe it is because like white gospel it is a celebration of deep, true, joyous faith, but unlike white gospel, black gospel springs from (and one may even say, despite of) roots in the terrible injustice of slavery and poverty. When one listens to black gospel, the singers' joy in celebrating Jesus Christ has a street cred that is undeniable. One might almost say it is the ultimate street cred. This translates into music and lyrics (and performance art) that truly reaches from the very bottom of human experience, to the highest peak of communion with God, all in one song. What is amazing is that while the roots of black gospel are found in poverty and the legacy of slavery, it is only the profound joy and trust in the Lord that is articulated in the song. They don't need to print out their resume of sorrow in the songs - it goes without saying. Like I said, they have the ultimate street cred, without dragging down the listener.

One thing I share with Elvis is the desire to collect all gospel, white or black, that I can get my hands on. I decorate the walls of my box of abode with album covers from performers such as The Chancel Choir and the Blackwood Brothers Quartet. (I don't have a turntable though, so these are decorative only at this time!)

But who do I listen to every day? The Canton Spirituals. I have two CD's, "Walking By Faith" and "The Greatest Hits featuring He'll Send the Blessings." On the latter CD is my favorite gospel song, "Mississippi Poor Boy." And no, it's not because I now live in Mississippi, and no it's not because I know a Mississippi ex-Poor Boy (who owes me some return of loaned goods, by the way lol.) But because it is a perfect gem of a song, as adoration, witness, and performance. I sometimes listen to that song repeatedly (and I can imagine the music video choreography too lol.) On the same CD is a song that never fails to move me in it's beauty, that being the song "Heavenly Choir." It is a song and a story that tells it all (and has a lesson in it for all churchgoers too, about true charity.) Anyway, this is a shout out for some wonderful music by a legendary group.

No comments: