Sunday, June 10, 2007

CD: Linkin Park, "Minutes to Midnight"

CD: Linkin Park, "Minutes to Midnight," 2007, Warner Bros. Records

I'm a "semi" Linkin Park fan. That means I really love certain of their songs. For example, "Numb" (and the Jay-Z mix "Numb/Encore") from their previous CD is very high on my favorite song list. It's a fantastic song in every respect. But like most Alternative bands, I find I have to pick and choose, because much of their music is so bleak. (That's why I'm still over the moon with pleasure about the totally great Good Charlotte CD, because that's a great mix of themes and moods, and one feels better after listening to it, not worse.) So I bought the "Minutes to Midnight" CD knowing that I'd be open minded, but likely finding some gems, and curious about, well, "the Alternative Bleak Level" lol.

I really enjoyed the liner notes. Not only are there readable lyrics, but the band prefaced each song with an inside take in the instruments/effects used, and their creative process. As I'm of an age where I remember listening to bands and recognizing what instruments are being played, I need some help in knowing what effects are being used. For example, one of my favorite songs on the CD uses "pipe organ and marching snare" while another song uses "multiple tracks of claps - and keys jangling." Interesting.

1. Wake
Musical introduction that is very enjoyable, like an Alternative overture.
2. Given Up
I liked this "punk/industrial" "stuck in my head again" song, both musically and lyrically. It's one of the songs to listen to on the way to therapy or AA, though, lol.
3. Leave Out All The Rest
Another sad, despair song, with beautifully written lyrics: "when my time comes, forget the wrong that I've done, help me leave behind some, reasons to be missed." I would have liked it even more if there was an additional verse that was redemptive in tone, so it would not have to be another song to listen to on the way to therapy or AA though.
4. Bleed It Out
The band writes they enjoyed this song and I did too, with it's rapid, clever, interesting, emotionally intense and tight lyrics. And yes, it's ASTLTOTWTTOAA.
5. Shadow Of The Day
Beautiful lyrics and great keyboard loop. "And the shadow after day, will embrace the world in gray, and the sun will set for you." Gosh, I wish that it had just one more verse that would lift it from being, you got it, ASTLTOTWTTOAA.
6. What I've Done
A moving song of regret, with reference to letting "mercy come and wash away" and ending with "I'm forgiving what I've done." But because the song starts with the words "in this farewell" I've got to designate it as ASTLTOTWTTOAA.
7. Hands Held High
One of my favorite songs on the CD. It's an anti-Iraq war song, which is fine, you don't have to feel one way or the other about the war to agree this is a magnificent song. Having lived through listening to the anti-war songs from the Vietnam era (barf bag in hand), I have to give this song A+++ with only mild eye rolling over several of the lines.
8. No More Sorrow
Huh? A few out takes from anti the party in control literature.
9. Valentine's Day
Another of my favorite songs on the CD. Any girl who watched (as I did) while other girls got tons of flowers on Valentine's Day and you didn't even have a beau will relate to this song. Since it's from a dude's perspective I'll have to take their word for it. It's a great song because it's about a guy who was always well taken care of on Valentine's Day until "a black wind took you away / from sight" and is intensely written.
10. In Between
Another of my favorite songs on the CD. I agree with the band's liner notes that this is a great "sparse song" with the "right vocal melody" and the lyrics are being "genuine" and about "trying to regain your trust." A song about a man at work on his relationship instead of being stuck in despair. Well done!
11. In Pieces
A great song about finally getting rid of a loser. Enough said!
12. The Little Things Give You Away
A song about the Katrina hurricane aftermath, specifically the levee breakdown. A beautiful and moving song. I won't ruin the surprise by quoting any lyrics, because it really should be listened to. It's about being disappointed and let down without being immature and snarky about politics. Beautiful!!

No comments: