Monday, June 4, 2007

The Sadness Called Iraq

I remember when the invasion of Iraq was announced four years ago, as I sat at my desk working on my Master's thesis for my MFA in Psychology & Counseling. I thought, "Oh no."

I have always been of the opinion that during Desert Storm, that was the time to have done a regime change, as the governance of Kuwait was restored. I don't want to hear all the excuses, about how mad the US's allies would have been, and how complicated going to Baghdad would have been. All one has to do is look at the horror that is there now and see that a regime change would have been a cake walk compared to what everyone is enduring now. Saddam and his family and close cohorts were proven monsters then, the gassing of civilians was already well known, and the head of the government should have been changed.

Years later the US and some allies invade Iraq and all I could feel was dread because I predicted they would make a key mistake, and they did. They did not just do a classic regime change and convert the army. They charged all the heads of government, they outlawed the Baath political party, and they disbanded the army. I could not believe the naivete and stupidity.

Any student of history knows that there are certain nations that are nations only in name, because they are loosely held states, principalities, clan, tribal, or religious units. Germany was one such example throughout the 1800's until the time of the Kaiser. Certainly anywhere there is the volatile mixture of religions such as Iraq is like an out of control boiler waiting to explode if the glue that holds it together is removed, which is their political system and their army. Blame the criminal leaders, but do not destroy their methods of self control and then be surprised at the chaos and fury.

I wish that I could hug and comfort everyone who has lost or had wounded a family member in Iraq and Afghanistan, and all the other places where our service people, the best in the world, serve and sacrifice. And I share the extreme worry for the safety of everyone who is in service. I grew up near Fort Drum in upstate New York, and when I had my first car and learned to drive, I often passed the young men in convoy on maneuvers and would be thrilled so much when they waved, my first flirting lol. My family has served and I have a loved one who has been twice to Iraq and Kuwait, and is in the general region still. My father was a Purple Heart paratrooper in World War II in France, Belgium, and the invasion of Germany. My step father was a Purple Heart soldier in World War II in Africa and Italy. My uncle in law fought in World War II in the Pacific, seeing the indescribable horror of Guadalcanal and Okinawa. My brother in law was long time Navy during the post Vietnam era. We know war, and we know it from the feelings, and we know it from the street knowledge of the average guy who knows how to conduct war, and how not to.

If we had retained the Baath party, but with non Saddamists, we would not have the mess of disenfranchised Sunni. If we had retained the army we would have rewarded the many people who suffered under Saddam yet still loved and served their country, and I believe the army could have been turned to the new government, because they would have been part of it from the start. This was not Japan and this was not Germany, where de-Nazification was essential because that was not a political party, that was a poison and an insane pagan ideology. Saddam and his cronies were monomaniacs but the entire country was not. The army is the unit that once the corruption is removed, it can be trusted by the entire country. Look at New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina - who finally came to the rescue? The trusted army with patriotic leaders who cared only about the welfare of the people. We missed the only chance of real success when we disbanded the Iraqi army and outlawed the Baath party.

And now the horror and hatred have run amok. I almost did not post in my blog today because I am still so sad at the murder of the Chaldean priest and his three deacons. While I've never been to Iraq, I remember fondly my trip to Turkey in 1995. Although I am a Christian I loved hearing the call to prayer in the minarets, especially first thing in the morning, because I admire any people who have a deep, true, and peaceful devotion to one God. I have felt the pain throughout this war, no matter who is the victim of the hour or the day. And the children... how can anyone not think of the children?

The elections were a wonderful thing, yes. And democracy is a treasure. But it is not a democracy when the glue of a fractured nation has been removed. You cannot kick the army out like a stool out from under someone sitting, and then tell them to be patient while they are injured on the floor, and a chair is laboriously rebuilt over a period of years.

None of the soldier's lives were wasted, because remember that Christ says that no greater love has a man than he gives his life for the other. So it is not inconsistent to believe that great mistakes in judgment have been made, and at the same time to believe that the military is serving a fine and noble cause. What's done is done and Iraq cannot be left to choke in its own suffering. But it is more than time for people who really understand nation building and religious differences to advise and be of assistance. This includes the countries in the region who, love them or not, understand the people, the political parties, and the heritage and history. The US and its allies must work with the countries who border Iraq. Folks, the Middle East is not your local PTA where good old Harry is re-elected to the school board. It takes people who understand the realities of the situation to manage a progressive and positive strategy. Otherwise, our military is being hung out to dry. And where is the wise stewardship of money being spent in "rebuilding?"

Continuing prayers for all of the people of good faith who are working for resolution. And prayers and blessings for our service people and the consultants and support staff.

4 comments:

All Blog Spots said...

nice blog

MMajor Fan said...

thank you kindly

Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

"None of the soldier's lives were wasted, because remember that Christ says that no greater love has a man than he gives his life for the other. So it is not inconsistent to believe that great mistakes in judgment have been made, and at the same time to believe that the military is serving a fine and noble cause. What's done is done and Iraq cannot be left to choke in its own suffering."
That's a truly beautiful statement.
Would that more view this war like this
God bless

MMajor Fan said...

Thank you tiber. That's very sweet of you to say.