Friday, June 15, 2007

A Fish Story

A Fish Story

I have a headache from the continual stories of political stupidity, cultural depravity, and lack of faith, love, and fear of the Lord God. So here's a little fish story, because I love fish, and all animals of the waters.

When I worked in Manhattan near Wall Street, I would like to go for a walk at lunch (to browse through book stores, and to get a little exercise.) Sometimes I would walk to the Seaport, where a "tall ship" is docked, and walk on the boardwalk to overlook the East River. A lot of progress has been made in cleaning up the East River from pollution, though more could always be done.

One sunny day I was leaning on the railing, looking down at the water. To my delight I saw a small school of fish, right under my feet, swimming around in the water. I thought, "How great this is, that the water has cleaned up so much that I can stand here and see little silvery fish glinting and darting around in the water, right here in Manhattan in the East River!" I continued to watch them, having a little relaxation.


Two women walked up and started gabbing, leaning on the rail right near me, perhaps only three feet away. One of them then said to the other, "I wonder if there are any fish there!" Um, if they had just looked right under their feet, they would have seen the same fish as I was watching at that very moment. Like the Greek philosophers who argued over how many teeth a horse has, but never got up to look, it never occurred to these intelligent, highly paid, white collar women to look down and see.

No comments: