Saturday, June 2, 2007

WW2 Story about my Stepfather

I just read about an accident in Wales:
Mountain rescuers in Snowdonia say a man has died after falling while competing in a 1,000-metre peaks race.
The 35-year-old man fell 150 metres (500 feet) after becoming lost during the event when he apparently ran into unexpected low cloud.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/6715421.stm

Prayers for his family.

Reading this story reminded me of my beloved stepfather's World War II story about the time he was sent on a mission. My stepfather, rest his soul, served in World War II in northern Africa, and then Italy, where he was terribly wounded but survived to have a nice long life. He used to tell me about the time that his commander summoned him and ordered him to take an important message to another unit, alone, through the desert. My stepfather set out on the mission, even though it was night time, no maps, and no lights. Men were like that back then, but I digress. After hiking in the pitch dark for a long time, he was really uncertain where he was. All of a sudden he had the strong feeling to stop and stand still, so he did. And in a few moments the clouds moved away from in front of the moon, illuminating the landscape, where he saw he was standing at the every edge of a cliff. If he had taken one step further he would have fallen. He was a very prayerful and devout Russian Orthodox man (though wild in the ways of beer drinking and fighting too ha ha, though all in moderation and in it's place :-) He never had any doubt the Lord was looking out for him that night, and I love that story so much. He passed during Easter week 2006.

Anyway, I thought you might enjoy this story of my stepfather's, especially as fewer of our WWII vets remain to share their stories.

No comments: