Monday, June 11, 2007

Which Bible I Use Day by Day

I use the Bible from my childhood, so I thought I'd share this information because when you look up my citations from the Bible, there may be the occasional difference between your Bible and mine, and you may need to do a little research to find exactly what I am looking at. I have a goodly number of Bibles (I enjoy collecting them) but I steadily use this one because I feel it is was produced at a time of peak grace in Catholic publishing, and I find serene concordance with this translation and arrangement. The art work is also very harmonious.

Saint Joseph "New Catholic Edition" of the Holy Bible. The Old Testament Confraternity - Douay Version and The New Testament Confraternity Edition. "A Revision of the Challoner-Rheims Version Edited by Catholic Scholars under the Patronage of the Episcopal Committee of the Confraternity of Christian Doctrine." Catholic Book Publishing Company, New York. The Imprimatur was by the venerable and beloved Francis Cardinal Spellman, Archbishop of New York, November 1, 1961. (This is another reason that I'm so fond of this Bible, as I'm a native of New York State and remember him well.) New Edition - Copyright 1962. (The copyright of the original edition is 1957-1949).

It has a beautiful introduction by His Holiness Pope Pius XII "On The Reading of Sacred Scripture." He opens with the quote from 2 Tim. 3, 16f: 'to teach, to reprove, to correct, to instruct in justice: that the man of God may be perfect, furnished to every good work.' He also cites St. Paul from 1 Cor. 3, 11 'For other foundation no man can lay, but that which is laid: which is Christ Jesus.' [So much for those who accuse Catholics of not reading the Bible and not relying on the word of Jesus Christ!]

Another of the reasons I love this Bible is its tender dedication to and recognition of St. Joseph. It has a beautiful set of pictures illustrating St. Joseph in his roles, such as his primary one of "Patron of the Universal Church: Prudent Guardian of the Holy Family, protect God's Holy Church."

In my next post I'm going to copy all of titles of St. Joseph listed in my Bible, as it may help some as Father's Day approaches.

No comments: