Monday, June 18, 2007

Explanations of the Qur'an for Christians (4)

In one of my previous posts, "Why Jesus Lived as a Human," I describe how the words of the twelve year old Jesus, when he is found in the Temple of Jerusalem, indicate that already he had a continual and adult conversation and communion with God the Father. It was internal because Joseph and Mary did not know about it, and Jesus himself explained during his adult public ministry that he communicated and learned from God the Father through prayer.

One of the things that drives me crazy are secularists and, how do I put it charitably, Catholics who are easily swayed in their faith, who attribute a period of human cluelessness and angst to Jesus, as if God had dumped him in human form to wonder who he was and what was going on. If I had one of those old fashioned robes and if I could afford to ruin my clothes I'd rend them in extreme ire. So I'm going to show you a part of the Qur'an that may forever change your misperceptions about the wisdom and knowledge contained in the Qur'an. It is the series of passages where the Prophet (Peace be upon him) records that Jesus spoke as a newborn baby. In the index to the Qur'an there are three sections cited that relate how Jesus "spoke in infancy."

Surah 3:45-46
When the angels said: O Marium, surely Allah gives you good news with the Word from Him (of one) whose name is the Messiah, Isa son of Marium, worthy of regard in this world and the hereafter and of those who are made near (to Allah).
And he shall speak to the people when in the cradle and when of old age, and (he shall be) one of the good ones.

Surah 5:110
When Allah will say: O Isa son of Marium! Remember My favor on you and on your mother, when I strengthened you with the holy Spirit, you spoke to the people in the cradle and when of old age, and when I taught you the Book and the wisdom and the Taurat and the Injeel: and when you determined out of clay a thing like the form of a bird by My permission, then you breathed into it and it became a bird by My permission, and you healed the blind and the leprous by My permission, and when you brought forth the dead by My permission; and when I withheld the children of Israel from you when you came to them with clear arguments, but those who disbelieved among them said: This is nothing but clear enchantment.

Surah 19: 29-34
But she [Marium] pointed to him. They said: how should we speak to one who was a child in the cradle?
He said: Surely I am a servant of Allah; He has given me the Book and made me a prophet;
And he made me blessed wherever I may be, and He has enjoined on me prayer and poor-rate so long as I live;
And dutiful to my mother, and He has not made me insolent, unblessed;
And peace on me on the day I was born, and on the day I die, and on the day I am raised to life.
Such is Isa, son of Marium; (this is) the saying of truth about which they dispute.

*****

Has this rocked the world of those of you who have not read the Qur'an? There is greater faith and insight into Jesus Christ (putting aside the disagreement about whether he is titled the Son of God and their problem with the Trinity for the moment) than in many, many Christian "analyses" and "literature" that I have read. When the profane and frankly, just not very intelligent books of fiction and even some horrible liberal theology come out, I just laugh and shake my head, because as people scratch their heads and wonder where the proofs are about Jesus Christ, there is a wealth of it in the Qur'an of all places. This is why I am annoyed extremely when people mischaracterize the mainstream Islamic faith. Anyone who reads the Qur'an devoutly and not as a political agenda cannot miss the love of and respect for Jesus Christ and his mother Mary. Remember that the Arab people were scholars and doctors before Europeans were, and had access to information about the times of Christ that are since unknown and forgotten. And no one can accuse the Prophet of writing in order to propagate Christianity myths and stories, as the Apostles are sometime most horribly accused. How beautiful these writings are, and there is no fault within them, for look: they understand the "at birth" adult knowing and self comprehension of Jesus and his communion with Allah/God, they show how Mary points to Jesus and is always humble and pure (and I have many more passages to share about their view of Mary as "chosen by Allah," "a sign for all peoples," and "woman of truth,") they show how Jesus knows that all comes to him from Allah/God, and that he is the child/man of peace, and that he will be "raised to life." When people "wonder" if Jesus "knew who he was" I am dumbfounded at the ignorance. And I am thankful for the precious information about our faith that is preserved so beautifully in the Qur'an. I am wondering when people of the faith of Abraham will realize that they are not so far apart at all, and I hope that I am helping to bind together and unify the faith in one God and mutual understanding.

Another thing to ponder. The ancient icons of Mary and the child Jesus always show Jesus portrayed as a miniature adult. While it is true that this was a not unknown artistic device at the time, there is also a greater truth revealed in those icons. They are likewise confirming understanding of Jesus Christ's adult knowledge of his purpose and teachings imparted from God the Father, even as a babe.

No comments: