Saturday, September 15, 2007

Atheists smarter than Believers in one Respect?

I tend not to wonder about very much since I have a pretty good handle on what’s going on. Sometimes people think I don’t know about something really bad, since they assume that if I don’t go crazy, or sue, or become a professional victim, or obsess about an injustice, I must not know about it. Au contraire mon frère. When the earthly ship is sinking someone has got to stay serene and sane, and it looks like I’m the only one sometimes. However, there is one thing I have never really understood, even though I could give the biological and psychological reasons for it. I don’t understand people who do believe in God who flip the finger at him (“shoot the bird”). I mean, I can understand atheists doing it, actually, as they either truly don’t believe (and thus get some sort of release disrespecting someone who does not exist) or they are doing a “just in case” experiment to see if they can get a rise out of a God they don’t believe exists, but they are cautious people who believe in hedging. I have never understood people who do believe in God, however, who give him the finger in word and deed. Um, what is the logic? You believe there is a God and you tell him to go pound salt, and worse, do something to harm someone who is his, one of his children. What exactly do you think is going to happen? Sure a lot of rotten people have done bad things throughout history, and “gotten away with it,” maybe even leading long and “happy” lives. But if you believe in God, where exactly do you think they are going to go when they die? I mean, so far as anyone sane realizes, everyone dies, so there’s just one exit door from life. And if you believe in God, and you know he (or his reps, like St. Peter) are standing on the other side of that door, um, the reason to knowingly hurt and piss him off all your life would be…? Like I said, the atheists I understand… but how incredibly stupid are the believers?