Saturday, September 15, 2007

Canticle of Mary (Magnificat)

Today, the 15th was Our Lady of Sorrows day, an appreciation of Mary’s unique role in the Passion of her Son. This was a traditional devotion but Pope Pius VII extended it to the entire Church in 1814. “Our Mother Mary teaches us to live, together with her, beside the cross of her Son. In her suffering, she reminds us of the malice of sin and shows us the way to true repentance.” Ironically on this day some years ago I experienced the first of a number of painful medical malpractice incidents, regarding contamination of my organs during and after surgery plus mistakes with my I/V. However, rather than dwell on the sadness and, frankly, crap of how people treat each other and not least of all me, I think on this day as I always do, of the Canticle of the Virgin Mary:

My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
My spirit rejoices in God my Savior.
For he has looked with favor on his lowly servant
From this day all generations will call me blessed,
The Almighty has done great things for me,
And holy is his Name.
He has mercy on those who fear him,
In every generation.
He has shown the strength of his arm,
He has scattered the proud in their conceit.
He has cast down the mighty from their thrones.
And has lifted up the lowly.
He has filled the hungry with good things,
And the rich he has sent away empty.
He has come to the help of his servant Israel
For he has remembered his promise of mercy.
The promise he made to our fathers,
To Abraham and his children forever.
Glory Be.