Tuesday, September 4, 2007

When King David was Persecuted

While David was powerful as the King of Israel, he suffered for being the chosen of God too. He was oppressed, even as King, for his love of God and obedience to God's will. David had critics and enemies because of his relationship with God. Here are some of David's feelings of pain that he expressed in Psalm 69.

They that hate me without a cause are more than the hairs of mine head: they that would destroy me, being mine enemies wrongfully, are mighty: then I restored that which I took not away...

Because for thy sake I have borne reproach: shame hath covered my face.

I am become a stranger unto my brethren, and an alien unto my mothers's children.

For the zeal of thine house hath eaten me up: and the reproaches of them that reproached thee are fallen upon me...

They that sit in the gate speak against me; and I was the song of drunkards...

Thou hast known my reproach, and my shame, and my dishonor: mine adversaries are all before thee.

Reproach hath broken my heart; and I am full of heaviness: and I looked for some to take pity, but there was none; and for comforters, but I found none.

They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.

Let their table become a snare before them: and that which should have been for their welfare, let it become a trap.

Let their eyes be darkened, that they see not; and make their loins continually to shake...

Let their habitation be desolate: and let none dwell in their tents...

Let them be blotted out of the book of the living, and not be written with the righteous.